Today, cities and buildings need to be smarter to comply with new legislation, environmental challenges and requirements to reduce energy usage. We are a leading provider of smart city and building solutions including both energy-efficient LED lighting and smart technology to manage the lights and sensors in cities or buildings.
We are proud to work with leading lighting and technology brands from around the globe, utilising the latest lighting technology to develop market leading products for our local customers with internationally proven reliability. Our brands include GE, Tungsram, Telematics, Envirolux and GE Current, a Daintree company.
Street Light Controls
With liveability and sustainability being the focus of urban planning, IoT and smart technologies are key to creating connected smart cities. We believe that deploying an RF network over a city utilising street light controls positions these networks as an ideal backbone/platform for various smart city applications.
As a ‘one size fits all’ solution is not feasible in this space, we offer multiple communication network technologies to meet the specific requirements of each council/city. This is facilitated through our strategic partnerships with global leaders in this space such as Telematics Wireless and Flashnet.
The most popular street light control communication technology is the RF mesh network. Generally working on unlicensed frequencies, this is a self-healing (active nodes in a mesh can compensate when a single node fails, in turn ensuring system uptime), multi-hop network suitable for various urban, semi-urban and rural areas.
RF star is also an effective communication technology for street light controls providing point to point communication between the base station (gateway) and nodes. The Telematics base station can handle up to 50,000 end devices (nodes). Usually one single base station can cover an entire mid-sized city.
LoRaWAN is another technology gaining popularity. It is an open protocol standard driven by the LoRa Alliance. A proven and popular technology in the Low Power WAN (LPWAN) arena, LoRaWAN has been designed from the ground up to optimise LPWANs for IoT applications that require long range, low power, high capacity and low implementation cost. LoRaWAN is based on chirp spread spectrum (CSS), an advanced spread spectrum modulation technology which has been used in military and space communication for decades because of its long range and robustness to interference.
The most exciting communication technology that is expected to dominate this space in the future is cellular/NBIoT. Narrow-Band IoT (NB-IoT) is a narrowband RF communication technology specially designed for the Internet of Things (IoT). It connects devices more simply and efficiently on already established mobile networks and handles small amounts of infrequent 2-way data, securely and reliably. The special focus of this standard is on very low power consumption, excellent penetration coverage and lower component costs deployed in GSM and LTE regulated frequencies.
The T-Light family offering from Telematics Wireless includes:
- T-Light Galaxy (Star) Network – a wide area network utilising a single base station that covers an area of up to 10km radius (urban) and monitoring directly up to 50,000 luminaries.
- T-Light Pro (Mesh) Network – a robust multi-hop RF Mesh network with self-configuring, self-healing capabilities. Provides local or wide area coverage.
- T-Light LORA Network – streetlight controls utilising LoRaWAN™ technology and forming an ideal IoT ready network for other LORA based sensors.
- T-Light Cellular Network - streetlight controls utilising cellular network (LTE) as its principal communication method to the BrightCity CMS software
An innovative, city-centric smart street lighting control system available to our clients is the inteliLIGHT control system, develped by Flashnet.
The inteliLIGHT system has been designed to be interoperable with agnostic communication technology and IoT platforms.
Some of the key benefits of the inteliLIGHT system include:
- Best-in-class TALQ certified software; designed to efficitenly manage any streetlighting project, with a user-friendly interface
- Multiple controllers suitable for NEMA, Zhaga, embedded, inside pole or lighting panel control
- Controllers can be added to existing lighting infrastructure, or embedded into new luminaries
- Communication technology agnostic; any open protocol communication technology can be used, or combined to meet your project's requirements
Discover more about the inteliLIGHT system here
Got a question about how this technology can benefit your project? Speak to our expert team about your requirements and we can tailor a solution for you.